Wednesday, 11 January 2012

In which things move

It was a strange paradox: the moment the words left his mouth, I knew it was a moment I wouldn’t forget, and yet I wasn’t sure quite whether we were really having the conversation I thought we were having.

The Writer and I were at the tube station at the time, clutching four bottles of prosecco, one of tequila, and a lovingly created, still-warm white chocolate and ginger baked cheesecake, on our way to a New Year’s Eve dinner party.

“I’m just going to renew my Oyster,” TW said, “before the fares all go up tomorrow.” He started to fiddle with the machine.

“Gods above, tell me about it,” I said, complaining about the eye-wateringly, gut-wrenchingly, in all ways tortuous cost of season tickets into London from the Home County. “I have no idea how I’m going to pay for it next year.”

We wandered through the barriers and towards the escalator.

“Well, next year, you could always come and live with me if you wanted to.”

My heart skipped a beat, not entirely sure whether TW was being flippant, or whether, whilst atop a Northern Line escalator, he’d just suggested I move in with him. Wanting to believe it was the latter, I said that, “Yes, I think I’d like that.”

Later that night, cheesecake consumed, and as we sat amidst a host of people unknown whilst at the second party of the night, TW turned to me. “I meant what I said, you know: I want to live with you.”

“I want to live with you too,” I said, again unsure as to whether his repetition was heartfelt, or merely the result of rather too much prosecco and the romance of the night.

So when the subject didn’t surface as we lay in bed on the morning of New Year’s Day, I didn’t say anything. Maybe he was drunk, I thought. Caught up in the moment, and now he’s regretting it. I won’t say anything. Instead, I teased him about how drunk he’d been by the time we left the party.

Finally we dragged ourselves out of bed, and wandered to the kitchen for tea and croissants which we ate whilst browsing the online guide to Leonardo Da Vinci: Painter at the Court of Milan.

Staring studiously at the raspberry jam, TW started to mumble quietly. “You know what I said last night?”

Here it came. That it had been a mistake, that he loves me but doesn’t think we’ve been together long enough to make that kind of decision.

“I meant it, you know. I’m not going to put any pressure on you at all – it’s entirely up to you. I mean, you already have a house that you own, and a cat, and if you’re not ready, then I won’t love you any less. But if you wanted to move in together, then I’d be so happy.”










Of course, I said yes. Gulp.

22 comments:

Lizzie said...

Eeee! :-D Exciting.

Martin said...

Oooh, exciting! I'd been dating The Wife for about 6 months when circumstances led to her being homeless, so I offered and she moved in. Best offer I've ever made.

nuttycow said...

My! How will Colin cope with being a London cat?

Blonde said...

Lizzie: It is! Thank you. x

Martin: Yup. That reassures me as TW and I haven't been together much longer than that. Good news.

NC: He won't be... TW's allergic, and C's a country cat, so he's off to Ma and Pa Blonde. Sniff.

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

How blummin' exciting. I do love a bloke who doesn't mess about and knows what he wants. Top marks (and good luck) x

Brennig said...

Wow! Now there is indeed a thing. And said under cover of financial economy too. I was going to ask about Colin; concerned about the poor little chap.

Not that concerned about you. Congrats (or whatever is appropriate to say under these circs).

Foodycat said...

Oh nice!

Gourmet Chick said...

Oooh great news. I love that you were not taking him seriously and he had to keep on telling you. Good luck!

Blonde said...

PDEWYMO: Thanks love! Eeek...

Bren: It is indeed a thing. C will be fine. Pa Blonde will spoil him rotten. And thanks!

Foodycat: Thank you!

Blonde said...

GC: Thank you v much! x

Elle said...

Exciting!!

O and I moved in officially into our own place after 6 months together - it doesn't matter if you've been together 6 months or 6 years, when you know, you know! :) xx

theperpetualspiral said...

Very exciting indeed. Well done!

Mud said...

Oh how lovely, and what a good start to a new year.

Have you broken the news to the cat yet?

misslizsarab said...

Happy news indeed. Really pleased for you both

Blonde said...

Elle: That's nice to hear - reassures that we're not totally crazy.

Perp: Thank you v much!

Mud: Not yet. I might swaddle the news in ham.

MissLiz: Thank you!

Redbookish said...

Awwwww lovely news. I'm getting all misty-eyed. But before you can *really* celebrate, you're going to have to break it to Colin. Gulp.

Mike said...

That's fabulous news. Happy for you. Hoping FabCanadian and I can do the same thing in 2012.

Zstep said...

Congrats!

Amy said...

So happy for you. I wish you every good thing in the world x

Blonde said...

Red: Thank you. And yes - gulp...

Mike, Zstep, Amy: Thank you all v much! Am v excited.

Tourist said...

Congrats Blonde, am sure you'll be very happy. Me and the now wife moved in together after going out for seven months and haven't looked back (yet)!

Livvy said...

Oooh how exciting - yay yay yay!

I'm sure Colin will enjoy asserting his views on Pa Blonde.

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space